Sunday, March 29, 2009

Change My Eyes

Her skinny head turned and looked at me with full brown eyes. She kept munching from a clear, pink plastic bag of scrap food, left in the garbage by some passerby too full to finish. I don't know her name because I didn't take the time to stop. Why didn't I stop? I was on a mission. I had a team. There were stores to hit and souvenirs to buy. Andy and Olya were waiting in the plaza. I was busy. Too busy to care about a young lady dining out of the trash. Now, her eyes won't leave my head.

Something is wrong with my eyes. Something is wrong with my heart when the sight of a human being eating out of the garbage doesn't cause me to stop, talk, and make an offering of real food. My callousness grieves me. "Love must be sincere". This love is in me. He is near me, he is my mouth, and in my heart. Where was it yesterday? I missed the opportunity to feed and love Jesus when I walked past that girl. A puffed up sense that my agenda was more pressing than God's image in need hurried me past the scene. Change my eyes, God, change my heart.

"Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position." Romans 12:16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home