Thursday, February 28, 2008

Brain

Last Thursday after homework was finished, I took the girls down the street to a small, concrete soccer area. Some neighborhood boys were already there and so we played a few matches with them. On the sidelines sat a little guy with a pathetic kitten bearing subtle Siamese markings. I would not have noticed except that it cried a lot and my younger girls were trying to take it away from the kid. I went over and asked the keeper of the cat, "Is this your kitty?" He said yes but that his mom had told him to get rid of it. "Where is it's mother?", I asked. He replied, "She died and I think it would better if you took care of it ma'am." Dogs are my animal of choice and this flea bitten creature with eyes full of mucous wasn't stirring up warm, fuzzy feelings of any variety. All eyes on me, I agreed to care for the cat and show the girls our responsibility towards God's creation.

In this way, I became the official owner of Brain. This feline bears a startling resemblance to the Pinky's counterpart, the cerebrally blessed rat who wants to take over the world every night (It's an Animaniacs cartoon for those of you who are lost). The other cats have not confused her for a rodent yet and continue to leave their left overs on the lunch room floor. The other morning I woke up to find only the whiskered nose of an ill fated rat lying on the tiled ground. I can only hope that some day, Brain will also contribute to the elimination of rats at our girls's home.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home