Monday, November 13, 2006

He Called a Fool

Who were you when you were called? Paul tells us to think about that, so that's what I've been doing in recent days. Who was I when I was called to Bolivia?

When I came to Bolivia, I didn't come with eloquence or superior wisdom. In fact, I came speaking Spanish like a pre-school kid. Any 'wisdom' I may have attained in Canada flew out the plane window as I landed smack-dab-in-the-middle of a world where my Canuck culture became irrelevant, best left in storage until my return. I came to testify about God, but found myself cursing the barking dogs and struggling to grasp the ins and outs of people who seemed to see the world through different glasses than I. I resolved to know nothing while I was here except Jesus Christ and him crucified...there was no other choice because I really didn't know anything even thought I thought I did. He was the only one who I could speak too and know that he understood exactly what I wanted to say. I came in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. I knew not a soul in Cochabamba and my concept of the living conditions initially caused me anxiety and dread. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with hand gestures and grunts filling in for the words not yet registered in my brain. Yet, the demonstration of the Spirit's power amazed me constantly as vocabulary I didn't know I had would come out my mouth. Through it all, my faith came to rest not on man's wisdom, but on God's power.

These days I'm grunting less and I have a firmer grasp of the way this latin world runs. The temptation to rely on my own wisdom and strength is stronger, but I heed the counsel of Paul to remember who I was when I was called to Bolivia. I remember who I was when I was called to Christ himself and I am humbled even more. Thank you Lord, for choosing and calling a fool like me.

2 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Melissa Martin serving in the Philippines...sounds like I am in the army! haha
anyways...I want to tell you that it is so encouraging to read this blog. I am struggling with the same things, and I fully realised last night, that Jesus is the only one who can FULLY understand what how I feel, when I am in a world where no one understands. I have not gotten to where you are yet, I still need a person to talk to, just to get the feedback right away, I don't always wait for God's answer, I do like his answers though.....when I wait.
But anyways..thanks again, and I would love to hear any advice you might have!
thanks!
Melissa

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger FFG said...

Hi Melissa, sounds like you're just starting the field? It's not easy, it's hard. The only way to get through it is to go through it and psych yourself up that it's going to be frustrating. My only advice is to love God so that you can love the people when the people aren't so loveable. Stay in touch with home (but not too much)and pray that God would bring some English speaking friends into your life.
Enjoy the ride!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home