Friday, November 18, 2005

The Painter´s House

Metaphors and analogies swirl through my head like objects in a twister and Blogger has become the resting place for these twirling thoughts. Even if nobody ever read a single one of these entries, I would still come to this chair, place my fingers on the keys, and allow the meanderings to spin out. Blogging is like finding a bathroom for my brain after holding it in for way too long.

My most recent brain movement was brought on by this house that I walk by everday. In the upper, left corner of the front of the dwelling, a sign has been placed advertizing that one of the inhabitants is a painter of interiors and exteriors. What slays me is that this adobe casa is the least painted house on the street! The only thing with paint on it is the sign that says "Pintor de exterior y interior".

It makes me ponder every time I pass it by, but my family`s experience with my dad being an automotive technician has not been so different. Although my dad is an expert at fixing vehicles, our cars and vans were always old and in need of one repair or another. Why buy new when you can maintain the old? I´m not complaining, I´ve always driven for next to nothing. My first car, a VW Rabbit, only cost me $200 and ran for eight years before it stopped hopping. My brother has me beat though. His first car, the Mighty Pegasus, only made him short $75 and that red Hyandai trekked all over Canada and down the Keys of Florida before it stopped flying.

Back to the point, the painter´s house stands outside naked, without a single coat of paint on any of it´s grey shoulders. The cars of a mechanic come cheap but demand constant TLC (which my dad dispersed on many a long night after hours!). All this reminded me of an old saying, "The shoemaker´s children have holes in their shoes." The shoemaker was busy stitching the worn out shoes of his customers while his own ran around with their little piggies bare to the elements. The fathers are intent on providing for their family, but in that provision, the families have to live with a drab looking home, not- so- pretty wheels, and frozen toes.

To be brief, I think the Father in heaven is intent on providing for His children as well but that doesn´t mean we have everything together and looking good all the time...and that´s o.k. He´s not being neglectful, He´s an expert at what He does...He loves...He gives...He fills...He heals...He saves...He speaks...He loves. He´s not too busy to stitch together the holes in your soul. He wants to give your interior and exterior a fresh coat of paint. He longs to spend many a long night with you, dispersing TLC to you. The Father´s children have holes in their hearts that only He can fill.

1 Comments:

At 3:29 AM, Blogger Keller said...

This blog reminds me of the Grisham novel, "A Painted House"... except that story takes place in the cotton fields of Arkansas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home