Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Mamíta´s Story

Slowly chewing some morsel of food and trying to focus while Mamita talked my ear off, I couldn´t help but be distracted by thoughts of what I would write if this aging, one of a kind woman were my topic. I looked down at my plate, which boasted a portion size fit for a 300 pound lumberjack, and considered all the quirky and lovable traits of Nelly de la Torre. Reaching down to pick my ear up off the floor, I dusted it off, and decided that this dear and unusual lady would be the subject of my next blog.

Carefully tucked away in an inoperative and retroactive washing machine, you will find hundreds of plastic bags. Faithfully stacked in the cupboard, one can encounter dozens of vacant styrofoam trays previously bearing meat, veggies, and other grocery type things. Resting peacefully in a cardboard coffin, lie a multitude of matches that have already served their purpose. Not so far away from this phosphorous grave, are bags of bread chunks, hard enough to knock a grown man to the ground if thrown with enough aggression.

You´re asking the same question that I and many others have asked...why?!? This question marks my mind everytime I see her eccentric collections. I have come to a conclusion. This bazaar behaviour betrays a past blotted with poverty and times of extreme desparation. I have heard of similar reactions coming from those who have lived through war times, where living off of nothing becomes a most desirable skill. Surviving periods of deprivation and indescribable hunger can lead to hoarding tendancies even when the plentitude returns and the stomachs are satisfied.

Mamita and her son, Davíd, have borne more struggles than I could experience in ten life times. Mamita was a single, unmarried mom living in a macho culture where social assistance is nonexistent and survival depends on personal persistance. Bitter and abandoned, she determined to surpass her situation and worked at the post office for what became a 23 year career. God was not a part of the equation, perhaps due to His maleness and her total snubbery of all men...except Davíd, the reason she threw herself out of bed every morning.

In an act of divine gentry, Davíd experienced the utter joy and peace of accepting Christ at the age of 15. His conversion, however, made him miss "almuerzo", the unforgivable sin in the eyes of most Bolivian mothers. In a panic, mamita went searching for her prodigal son, not realizing that he had already been truly found. In a strange twist of the parable, she saw him at a distance, down the road. Her initial rejoicing at finding her lost son turned to despise and criticism when he immediately told her about this Jesus he had met. She forbid him to speak about those "evangelios" and wondered about his mental health.

This forbidding sent Davíd into a 7 month fast from breakfast so that God would change the heart of his mom. Already a skinny kid, mamita noticed that he was losing weight and threatened to bring him to the hospital. It wasn´t until the odour of 28 weeks worth of breakfast gave away the tactics of one determined child, that mamita realized what he was doing. This only reinforced her opinions about Jesus and His followers. Friends would come to the door, desiring to pray with Davíd and his mom would beat them away with her brooms.

One Christmas, a concert was happening at a nearby church. Davíd desparately wanted to go with his mom, but she was adamant to stay home and told him not to bother either. After long intervals of praying and circling his mom´s bed, he asked her one final time...and she agreed to go...grudgingly. Everytime she tells me this story, the tears track down her wrinkly cheeks. As she entered that space, she felt the presence of a spirit quite contrary to her own. A beautiful voice sang a message of glad tidings not only for all men, but for her, a beaten, emotionally bruised women of questionable past. The Holy Spirit dropped her to the floor that night in a puddle of wet brokeness. A new born son walked home with his newly born mom that evening.

While you reflect on a another young mother, unmarried, and expecting her own timely treasure, remember too that the glory and wonder of that night transcended to a Christmas not so long ago and changed the eternity of one quirky, Bolivian mother and her boy. Merry Christmas!

2 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful Christmas message. And timely for me to hear as well.

Muchas Gracias, Marcee, y Feliz Navidad.

 
At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marcee, Wow, i know, this has been a LONG time coming. So many things have happened in my life since I've been back and when I try to remember being in Bolivia I am so disillusioned. It seems like it never happened. That blog that you wrote about me was very great, i appreciated it so much. So, I got back and about 3 days later Luke came back to Nebraska to surprise me.Dont' worry, he didn't propose, Lord knows we've got some growing to do but it was so fun. Then I went to New York a couple weeks after that and just got back a day ago. I got to speak a couple of weeks ago to my dad's Sunday school class and I shared a couple journal entries about the first two weeks when I was depressed and just how God revealed himself to me that He had always been there and that I needed to trust him. Since coming back I've fallen into materialism bigtime. It's like I realized that I wasn't "up to date" and had to go to the mall to get new clothes. That lasted about a week and then I realized I was trying to fulfill society's standards. I miss a lot of things about Bolivia. I miss Mamita and Estela. I honestly haven't sat down long enough to really digest the entire thing and it's like with each passing day it becomes more of a dream. I have been following the news of the elections but how is it really down there? Are there a lot of bloqueos?

I just wanted to really tell you that you are one of the coolest people i've ever met. I'm being totally honest too. I wish that I could've had more time with you because i think i could have learned a heck of a lot from you. I've read all of your blogs and have laughed pretty hard. You have a gift with words. I plan on starting one up too. Let me know what's going on down there and how you are doing. Espero que todo este bien. Besos a mamita!


Your fellow studmuffin,
Katie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home