Saturday, March 25, 2006

Creepy Critters

Alison and I broke bug sighting records today. Typically, we find one to two large insects each day. This morning, in an attempt to escape drowning from the downpour, six cockroaches crawled into our kitchen only to greet death in a different way: Baygone (Bolivian Raid). O.k., make that seven, Alison just screamed.

Just the other day, I shook out my jeans and a cockroach fell out of the leg and scurried behind my door. Recently, four of us were chatting in the living room when as Alison recounts "a look of sheer horror" came on my face. Rising above our heads, an oversized cricket leaped to the height of the ceiling and hovered in the air. However, it wasn't jumping, it was flying. Apparently crickets come with wings in Bolivia. Grabbing my digital, I recorded the event, as four freaked out friends dodged the swooping manouvers of the insect. Two more flew in, like miniature bats crashing the party, later on in the evening.

Mulititudes of small ants, burrowing termites in the bathroom, and centipedes who's bodies truly earn the right to have one hundred legs are just of few of the creepy critters that add so much "joy" to our lives. Groups of geckos congregate on the roof of our porch every night, but they bring an exotic appeal. Gatherings of other gross creatures cause us to fill the air with toxic fumes of insecticide and delight in the death dances of the imposters.

Meanwhile, at the girl's home, I am confronted with two tick infested dogs and the problem of lice. Surprisingly, I don't live in a state of heebie jeebies all the time. My skin isn't constantly crawling and my reactions to the ghastly bugs are "fairly" calm. Forget Texas, the bugs are definitely bigger in Bolivia! Forget American Airlines, when I go back to Canada, I'm flying Jiminey Cricket...with a lot more leg room and allowance for luggage too. By the way, make that eight, Alison just screamed again.

4 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

You make me homesick! I lived in Hawaii for five years as a teenager, and your fauna sounds about right for a tropical environment. I don't recall that we had flying crickets, but we did have flying cocroaches, about the size of golf balls, that would occassionally fly into the house and invariably bang themselves against the television set. Ants were always a huuuge problem in Hawaii and you could never leave anything out, even for a few minutes, especially sweet things, or you would have a line of ants heading toward your goodies. Even pop cans couldn't be left out on the counter or on a table, because just the little bit of pop on the top of the can would attract the little buggers (pun intended).

My favorite getting-used-to-the-bugs story from Hawaii was our first Christmas there. We always had a tradition in our family of getting real trees, and we also had a tradition of making popcorn and cranberry garlands for the tree. Well, the first Christmas my father almost died when he realized we were going to have to pay over 75 dollars (and this was in 92) for a christmas tree, but my mother insisted. We faithfully made up our popcorn and cranberry garland the first night, and the following morning I awoke to my mother screaming in terror at the Christmas tree that was swarming with ants. It was a sight to see, I get creeped out just thinking about it, it looked like the tree was moving. My dad realy didn't know what to do so he just grabbed the whole tree at the base and threw it outside, and we went to town with the ant killer on the floor and wall around the tree. It was really, really creepy.

Another fun bug story was when we discovered a colony of carpenter ants (they are huge and look like termites) living in top of our hot water heater. Yikes! My skin is just crawling remembering that...

I do miss the geckos, though, they were so sweet and in Hawaii they are considered "good luck" if they are in your house. Know why? Because they eat bugs...

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Keller said...

Indonesia has some interesting bugs. They left bumps on me the size of twoonies... luckily they died down after a few days. I've been reading your blogs although I haven't commented on them... fyi. Sounds like you're having fun.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger FFG said...

Nicole, if bugs make you homesick, I gotta be a little worried for you. They make me sick, but not for home! The Christmas tree incident sounds horrific!

Life is fun...in an interesting sort of way...never a dull moment in Bolivia. I don't always comment on your blogs either, but I do read them...except your slacking K!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

I was just away for the weekend and didn't have a chance to run yesterday because of a hectic schedule. There is sure to be another post today. :)

And it's not so much that I miss the bugs, it's just I miss living in a sub-tropical environment, even if you have to deal with some creepy critters sometimes. Also, I did live in an airconditioned apartment building so while we had the occassional critter, I am sure it is nothing like what you are dealing with.

keep your chin up, girl, you're doing the Lord's work and I have full confidence that there are no bugs in heaven...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home