Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Corner

According to my mom, "the corner" wasn't the most effective way to punish me as a child. Instead of being upset, I would break out into song and pretend like there was no place I'd rather be. I imagine that that would be rather infuriating as a parent.

As I read my way through Luke, God used some verses to put me in my place. After reading them and being convicted, it seemed to me like God was putting me in the corner, telling me to spend some time thinking about my attitude. Truthfully speaking, I am constantly battling the desire to go back home. I've been looking for a loophole in my commitment, trying to find some reason that would justify my return to Canada. As of yet, I can't say I've found one. Contrary to my childhood ways, I don't feel like praising, but pouting.

Without a doubt, God led me back here. Even when it seemed better that I should not return, God pinned me with verses and said, "Go back and lead those people, I have found favour with you, my presence will go with you, I will give you rest, and put you in a cleft in the rock." I knew what it would cost and at the time, I was willing to pay the price. A few months ago when I was ready to pack it up and pack it in, He spoke to me over a bowl of cereal. I was enjoying my breakfast when I noted that the calendar still read November even though it was December 2. It distracted me so much that I couldn't continue eating until I changed it. The scriptures for that day were from Genesis,

"I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." Gen.28:15
"Stay in this land for a while and I will be with you and will bless you." Gen.26:3

So, what am I doing questioning my presence in Bolivia? I have had clear word from the Lord that this is where am I supposed to be for a time, but it doesn't make me happy. Yesterday my discontent culminated in chastisement from above. From Luke 17:7-10, a servant looks after his master first and then after that is done, he attends to himself. A servant should not have to be thanked for completing his tasks. The clincher that put me in the corner came in verse 10,

"So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, "We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty."

I can't figure myself out, but God has me figured out. In the midst of my grumblings, there is a peace in knowing that I am where God wants me to be. With that in mind, I choose to praise instead of pout. Afterall, there is no other place I'd rather be than in God's corner.

4 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Is it not amazing when God speaks to us so *clearly* from his word? Or when he uses a "coincidence" like your calender being on the wrong day to bring something so clear to our attention. These are the everday miracles that testify that our Father is no Deistic God, removed creator not interfering with a mechanical universe. Instead, he is directly involved with our lives, and your story has encouraged me today. Thanks, Marcee!

Also, quick question. What is the best way to say "Nice to meet you" in Spanish? Like, what would you say when being introduced to someone after the "holas" and the "como esta"s? I might be meeting with some latin american refugees tomorrow, and I don't know what the best way to say that is. Thanks!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger FFG said...

Hey Nicole, the most common way of saying this is "Mucho gusto" but you can also say, "Un placer conocerle", but pronounciation could be a problem. Good luck!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

What does "placer" mean? Pleasure? I know what conocerle means... to know you...? Well, as it turns out today I met a lovely gentleman from Burma, but there were no Spanish-speaking refugees around, so I didn't get a chance to use "mucho gusto" anyhow. But now I'll know for the future

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Marcee, God has spoken rather clearly! I'll pray that he will soon bless you with joy and delight in your current situation. It's amazing what He will do after the surrender - not pretending you're enjoying the corner, but agreeing to stay there because HE said so. Mary from ITC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home