Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Pastime or Sport?!?

It is time to lay this eternal argument to rest, is baseball a pastime or a sport? For twelve years I played community and church baseball and for the same amount of time was told, mostly by soccer players, that what I was doing could not be classified as a sport.

This past weekend, I was once again confronted by this fallacy by a bunch of basketball fiends. They argued that the sport of my youth was really only a pastime, America´s favourite, but nonetheless, a pastime not a sport. One advocate declared that he was going to blog about this topic...I thought I´d try to beat him at his own game.

Although we established and argued the definitions of sport and pastime, I want to print them here for the rest of my readers.

SPORT - physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in
competitively.
- an activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or
customs and often undertaken competitively.

No one can deny that baseball has rules, customs, and competition. The main argument of those who hold the orange and black striped orb was that there was no physical exertion involved in baseball. I will concede that their is less physical exertion in baseball, but the definition does not quantify the amount of physical exertion needed in order for it to qualify as sport. A swing of the bat, the pursuit of a flyball, and a dash around the bases for a triumphant grand slam all require physical exertion. I recognize that these exertions come in spurts, but what of those who play soccer or basketball but are put on and pulled off just as quickly? Does the brevity of their play mean that they are no longer involved in a sport but a pastime? Length of physical exertion does not serve to define sport.

PASTIME - an activity or diversion that occupies one´s time and thoughts (usually pleasantly)
i.e. Sailing is her favourite pastime

Here I change my argument slightly in order to state that baseball is a pastime and a sport...as is basketball...unless you opt to argue that basketball is not a pleasant activity that occupies one´s time and thoughts. And, if you argue that baseball is simply a pastime while basketball is a sport, let me add that the dictionary also defines sport as an active pastime, therefore identifying sport as pastime and pastime as sport.

I have concluded that baseball, basketball, soccer, and a variety of other activities (i.e. golf, although I detest admitting it) are all pastimes and sports.

p.s. My country of origin does not diminish the validity of my arguements nor does my use of the noun/verb "rusk".
p.s.s If any of you can tell me what a rusk is and what it means to rusk something, I´d be obliged!

6 Comments:

At 1:19 AM, Blogger Keller said...

I've had people say that floor-hockey is not a sport. I just don't listen to people who have ridiculous opinions. They are just trying to make themselves feel better by making their activity out to be more important than others... the competitive nature taken to an all new extreme. If you think about it, who cares? Does anybody remember who won the Stanley Cup in 1971? Or more importantly, does anyone care? A brutal floor hockey player and a Stanley Cup winning team member will both be forgotten in 100 years, but they both will have had great exercise... I guess that technically amounts to moot too. Sport, past-time, sport, past-time... if our egos didn't get in the way it probably wouldn't be an issue. Wow. This sounds like I'm terribly upset, and I'm not, but it's just a thought... or two... thinking is my past-time... or is it a sport?

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe a rusk is a noun... twice baked bread or something. Anyone who uses it as a verb, or even tries, certainly cannot be taken seriously.

Your honor, on the evidence presented above, I believe the argument by the person desiring to use "rusk" as a verb must be thrown out.

Men and women of the jury, even if the argument is not thrown out, it is obvious that it does not matter anyway. Only a great fool could use the words "physical exertion" to describe the game of baseball.

Fun and entertaining, yes. A sport, no.

I have no further comments.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger FFG said...

Your honour! Clearly the "anonymous" user of the above comment is using unrelated material to further his cause and I would suggest that his insistence on returning to the aforementioned issue of the word "rusk" is proof that he can not speak authoritatively on the topic at hand.

Thinking may be a sport for some when it causes them to physically exert themselves. I´m not really that upset about this either, but it´s been entertaining to "bat" it around a few times.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I know is that a rusk is a type of round crunchy bread that my mom lets us eat when we're sick. You spread a bit of butter and some sugar on it, and then crunch it down. Crumbs everywhere.

My reason for not allowing baseball as a sport is that the players take turns to hit the ball. :D Pshaw. But it definitely has more exertion than golf.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Marcee,

I just wanted to say hello and let you know that I have been keeping up with your blog, I just rarely have anything insightful to write in response.

A number of people at the office have commented on your ability to write, especially when you were missionary of the week here, so obviously others have been checking out your blog as well.

God Bless!

-Nicole Mueller

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger FFG said...

Hey, I can´t believe someone else defined "rusk" as a piece of bread (I don´t care what the dictionary says). Can my mom please comment on "rusk" or someone from my family?!? I need validation and redemption.

Thanks for the comment Nicole!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home