Saturday, January 07, 2006

What We Hope For

A bird perceives the light and sings just before the dawn.

I´m not normally up at first light, but sometimes I am awake. I lay in my bed and listen to choirs of birds chortle in melodic chaos as they serenade the rising sun. One bird sits on a near-by branch, garbling in anticipation as dawn´s fingers grasp the edge of the horizon. The sun pulls itself up and the brightness of it´s body sends the winged wonder into full-out praise. It has huddled in the darkness of night but has not lost sight of what is to come. It is sure of what it hopes for and certain of what it does not see.

Like my feathered friend, I´ve been huddling in the darkness, living in the shadows. At first, it felt safe and comforting. Now, it just feels clammy and claustrophobic. I am eager to be in the light of day again. On a hot, sunny day, the shadow of a tree is refreshing and a relief. When the days are cold and crisp, you want to be in the sun absorbing as much of it´s warmth as possible. Switchfoot sings, "The shadow proves the sunshine". Living in the shadows tells me that were times when I skipped under, over, and through rays of sunshine. Shadows exist because light creates them and defines their contours.

The sun is behind my back, I can feel it´s warmth, but I´ve been looking at my shadow smeared across the ground. It´s all I could see. It´s time to distinguish who I am from the grey, expressionless frame in front of me. Lord, give me the strength and the desire to make the turn and redirect my gaze....to You! Breath of heaven, light in my darkness, pour over me Your holiness, for You are holy, breath of heaven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home