Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A Fragile Fabric

I would like to reneg on my previous declaration to learn something from the world of dogs. In fact, I would like to create a T-shirt that says, "Dogs are stupid. Throw rocks at them". The graphic on the back will be of a stick man with a stick dog lying on the ground. The dog will have X´s for eyes and a black dot will lie near it´s head. Below, in fine print, I will write a disclaimer to prevent animal rights activists from throwing rocks at me.

The night before I left for Santa Cruz, a street dog bit me on the leg. Two people sat on a corner and watched as the mutt took it´s bad day out on me. Immediately we went to a health centre and had it checked and cleaned, but it took two weeks and a lot of running around to line up the anti-rabies vaccine. Meanwhile, all information indicates that once a person contracts the virus, death is imminent.

This animal could have given me a killer virus, but what really bugs me is that it left me with a strange and unwanted companion: fear. I used to walk without care or concern amongst the dogs. I trusted them not to attack me. Now, I´m jumpy and nervous whenever I traverse the streets. My heart leaps to my throat and my heart pulsates in a panic if a dog makes a move or noise near me. These are foreign feelings for me.

Some of you think I´m being slightly dramatic. A friend of mine lived in a country home where hundreds of bats were using the attic as an apartment, rent-free. For years, she and her family lived in harmony with the winged rats. One day, a fanged rodent bit my friend. It shattered her confidence and left her uncomfortable in her own home. I thought she was over reacting, but now I know better.

Trust is a fragile fabric. When torn, fear weaves it´s thread through the tear. My sense of security was pulled apart at the seams when that canine chomped down on my calf.

What happened that night between the dog and I, can occur at any time between the people we are in relationship with. Some set a pattern by which we know not to trust them. Far worse is when we are betrayed by one with whom we´ve been most vulnerable; by someone in whom we´ve confided in a profound manner. This is true pain, pain that can turn viral if not vaccinated with forgiveness. Once trust is broken, it´s hard to mend and once mended, it´s easily broken again. A patched knee is not as resistent to ripping as it once was.

I suppose I want to render some advice to the reader and to myself. First, be a person worthy of the trust that we all desire. Second, there is a trustworthy One. His name is YahWeh, Jehovah, God, Creator, and Lord. When you are afraid, trust in Him. Trust in God, do not be afraid. What can mortal men (or rabid dogs) do to you? Remembering this, I walk on...but, when it comes to the dogs, I´ll be brandishing a big stick and a fistfull of rocks.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home