Friday, January 27, 2006

Why Me Lord?

After showing a picture of our shower head to my brother Derek, an electrician, he emphatically told me that if he ever lived in Bolivia, he would never place himself under one. You only need elementary education to know that water and electricity typically don´t mix well. Perhaps that´s why these elements get called widow-makers. Hot water is produced when the water passes over electrical coils all contained in a plastic cylinder directly above one´s head. I have experienced my fair share of buzzes and shocks in certain showers, but until this morning, I had never faced the full fury of the widow -maker.

A week ago, I was in the shower, battling the rather aggressive shower curtain, when an odour other than the smell of my shampoo entered my nose. Looking up, I noted that the electrical tape and plastic wires connecting the breaker to the shower head were smoking and bubbling...end of shower. After a quick exit, I informed Davíd that we had a problem with the shower. He assured me that there was no danger.

For some reason, I just didn´t trust the assurances of Davíd. Still, I continued to shower and to pray that God would protect me from premature death. Early this morning, I had just rinsed off the soap when a bright flash appeared above me. A flame had erupted from where the tape held the wires together, followed by a firework of sparks, followed by a descent of ashes, followed by an extremely startled Marcée falling out of the shower, smashing into the toilet, grabbing and destroying the cheeky curtain on the way down. Needless to say, I made the recommendation that everyone else stave off showering for another day.

Presently, I sport a bruise on one leg to match the dog bite on the other and my back hurts from the crashing into the can. Still, I think it´s a great story and will delight in telling it from time to time. In the future, I will look for a shower head that delivers the water without the drama of sparks and ashes.

3 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Blogger Keller said...

SOrry... I had to laugh... great story... I hope you will get a good shower... I have youth in this centre that need to take one... I don't know how to tell them, but I'm on the verge. I haven't been keeping up with blogs the past few weeks so I'll have to catch up shortly. I hope all is well.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger FFG said...

Is that you yog? Or the guy that stole your identity? :) Thanks for your genuine symnpathy with regard to my string of mishaps. Perhaps if you travelled on a Bolivian bus for a long period of time, the youth at your centre would actually appear hygenic. Happy Smells!

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sis, this must have been quite a shocking experience. I think that you should start taking cold showers if you keep running into these problems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home