Sunday, March 05, 2006

Church Chatter

Interesting is the chatter over church these days. Across borders, the murmur of dissatisfaction is turning into a roar of displeasure with the church as an institution. One will hear of the emerging church and how it wants to be free of the traditional chains and doctrinal cuffs of the past. I am not informed enough on these movements to speak authoritatively, but I have some thoughts that may be relelvant.

To start with, this is not the first time that people have been discontent with the state of the church. In the days of Charles Spurgeon, there was also a movement know as the Free Church which stirred up the pious pots of the established Christian bodies. Instead of wearing a long black frock coat, the Free Church pastors would sport a jacket. In the place of a silk top hat, Spurgeon would don a smaller headpiece made of soft felt. Due to the large crowds that gathered to hear Spurgeon, they opted to meet in a place of entertainment, the music hall. All these courses of action produced a torrent of flack and criticism from the more traditional types. Despite being influenced by Calvinism and Baptist thought, he determined that the only doctrine worth sqaubbling over was the truth of Jesus Christ and the authority of Scripture.

The visible church is a human structure, created by men, prone to fail or thrive depending on how much it leans on it's Lord. The invisible church is a beautiful bride, being prepared for her glorious groom, waiting for their special day to arrive. This church is pure and spotless, and gracias to God for His grace, we shall not falter, but be raised up in victory some day soon.

Having said this, let me relate my experience at the church building this morning. Sitting beside my sisters in a back pew, a dreadful cloud of cynicism settled over my head. I watched the worship leader and quickly assesed that he was performing for us instead of an audience of One. Two benches up, a middle aged women had her hands raised as her head cranked from side to side and back to see what everyone else was up to. Her mouth merely mumbled the stanzas. Across the aisle and diagonal from my seat, a man was digging deep for gold and flicking his finds onto the floor. In various sections of the sanctuary, conversations were taking place in outdoor voices and many were paying more attention to their children then to the music, prayers, or preaching.

Admittedly, I do not know these people at all and it was my first attendance. Every one of these people could be passionate and sincere in their faith. My spiritual lenses may be spotted and smudged with my own fingerprints, but the service created in me a sadness and irritation. The place intended for worship and recognition of the Creator had been reduced to a den of distraction and disinterest. A stubborness swelled within me and I resolved not to raise my hands or feign any feeling that I did not truly sense within me. I was not going to be like those people.

But I was like those people. Instead of training my thoughts to the Truth, I let them loose to roam the range of self-righteouness. Instead of closing my eyes to contemplate the presence of God and his Spirit, I critiqued the lack of focus in others. I was distracted by the inattention of the congregation, but I was adding to it by my own brand of daydreaming. While I was looking at everyone else, who was looking at me and questioning my integrity?

I agree that in many ways the church we see today is in dire need of renovation and reevaluation. God knows my frustration and He shares in it. The church needs help, but so do I. I am the church, I am a part of the solution and a part of the problem.

I enjoy the buzz over church issues. It means that people are searching and questioning. May our chatter bring about growth and increased desire to serve the One who unites us.

3 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger Keller said...

I think your assessment is good. However, changing your jacket or meeting place isn't the change that today's generation is crying for, I believe it is on a deeper level. Or, perhaps it is on the same level, but we are realizing that it is not cosmetic surgery that we need (i.e. relevant music, dress, meeting place, etc) but a reminder of who the church is, and instead of being married to our systems, we should realize we are already engaged to our Groom.

I agree that the Church is us. I am part of it too and I cannot and will not separate myself from her. It bothers me that ppl think anyone who criticzes "church" (which in most ppl's understanding is actually the Sunday morn service) is out to destroy her. We long to be Christ's Body to the world.

Casting Crowns says it best, "If we are the Body, why aren't His arms reaching? Why aren't His feet going? etc." This is happening very little. There are definitely godly ppl in Western institutional structures. Definitely.

I just yearn for a deeper corporate expression than contemporary christian music, dogmatic orders of service, and even the newer expressions using candles, crayons, clay, and pillows. I yearn for God's glory being realized by those opposed to Him. I yearn for changed lives and joy to re-enter lives who are depressed and downtrodden... and much more. God is doing that slowly now... I just see SOME of the things we do holding Him back.

This is way too long for a comment. Good blog.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger FFG said...

I thought the same thing with regard to manner of dress and choice of meeting place, but I think the desire to change these is the first sign of a deeper thirst.

I remember being dissatisfied with church back in my teens. I thought that if I could just wear jeans to the service or not feel obligated to attend two meetings every Sunday that I would really grasp who God was. Even after I lost the skirt and skipped out on the sermon for Tim's, I realized that my longings needed to met by more than just a change of ritual.

I believe that changing up our approach to personal and communal worship is one way to keep our spiritual chords in tune. I've coloured pictures for my Father and sat in the darkness surrounded by candles enjoying the ambience and His presence. Keep it creative, keep it great! A ton of quotes from David Crowder are running through my head. He talks about how spiritual disciplines can get old. He says,

"There's a cycle that takes place where we find/experience a spiritual habit that brings connection and meaning, but eventually even that thing will get stale and something else will need to find its way in."

For me, I need a mix of routine and novelty. Every one is different. Some need the familiarity of one way of doing things or they get lost and disoriented. Anyway, this comment is way too long as well, but it was the force of those comments in your blog that got me thinking.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

Marcee,

Your entry made me think back two weekends to my church's "college and career" retreat that I attended.

First, it made me think of how irritated I was that it seemed nearly no one was there for any kind of spiritual growth, reflection, community, etc. It seemed to me, as I glanced around at young adults strewn about couches, barely asleep, no bibles open, no one singing during worship times, during our speaking sessions that people were just "suffering" through the teaching so they could get on to the "real" part of the retreat: the "fun".

The unstructured times were worse, particularly in the evening when the guys got rowdy. It was very disappointing to me, and by Saturday night I was wishing I had not been behind planning it.

Then two things happened. One: I picked up _The Screwtape Letters_ off the retreat centre's library shelf. I read one letter from Uncle Screwtape to Wormwood that insisted the young devil put critical thoughts in his recent Christian convert's head about his fellow parishioners. Screwtape insisted that having the young convert focus on the flaws of his fellow Christians, instead of the message or the presense of God on a Sunday morning, was sure-fire way to get him to "drop out". It made me reflect on my own diversions during that weekend's meetings.

Secondly, our retreat advisor closed our weekend with a brief talk, saying how each one of thus was there for a reason, that God had brought us all there to hear some truth and to take that truth and learn from it and grow in the Lord. He emphasized, however, that it was our choice what we did with that truth, with that knowledge, and that God would not force our hands, or our hearts, to follow him.

I often feel frustrated in my church environment, but I am so glad that you pointed out that I am the church, you are the church, and God would have us always be concerned with changing ourselves to be more like Him first and foremost.

Sorry about the long post!! Yikes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home