Thursday, May 11, 2006

Being Frank on Being Single

There is a line by Don Miller that categorizes men as those who search for someone to complete their life and those who search for someone to join their already complete life. I'll just add that this same division splits the women. Since I'm being frank, I have to say that I'm not sure what category I would slide into. Most of the time I think I fall into the latter category. Years ago, I realized that no guy could ever satisfy me in the same way as my Jesus. After several painful experiences with guys, the love of Christ came and soothed my bleeding heart. It continues to assauge my inner aches and pains. No doubt about it, I'm good to go with just me and my Lord. On the other hand....

My journal records a day, not too long ago, when I was envious of two pigeons. Everyday there are two pigeons who roost on the roofline of our neighbor's house. It's like "their" spot. There they sit snuggling and preening themselves. A pair of blah birds concocting their own rooftop romance. Sometimes they perch on opposite ends and so it's not like they always have to be together. Other times, one will fly off without the other, but it never tarries to return. Somehow, they are always drawn back to each other. How can this cooing couple be so committed and dedicated to one another? Because they don't think.

They don't set themselves on a branch somewhere and debate whether the pigeon with the cute white feathers or the one with incredible green eyes is the right one for them. They don't care if he cracks his seeds with his beak or his claw or if the scraps get stuck in his beard. Their relationship isn't complicated with emotions and fears. They don't lie awake at night (or whatever birds do when they sleep) and worry about missing God's will for their lives. To exist is His will for them and by they their existence they obey their Creator. Yet, not one of them can fall to the ground with out the Father knowing. He feeds them and follows them as they flirt and fly. So, how much more valuable am I?

There's no way I'd want to be a pigeon, although it would be fun to frequent parks and poo on people's heads, and besides, how do I really know that it's the same pigeons together all the time? No, it's definitely better to be single and human.

So, yes, I am the oldest and I am still single. Am I o.k. with that? Most of the time. Do I want to get married someday? Of course...I think. Until then, Psalm 102:7.

6 Comments:

At 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I have been reading your blogs for a while now (thanks to the Yogger) and I had to comment on this one...just to say I understand and Thanks for the blog!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger FFG said...

I donĀ“t know you, but I do know you. You understand me and there is a knowing in them midst of the understanding. Watch out for the pigeons!

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Keller said...

Great blog Marcee. I always hated this saying, "When you're not looking for it, it will happen." ("It" referring to that special person.

God is faithful to His promises and I believe He puts these desires (dating/marriage) in us for a reason. I am the oldest too and at this point technically single.

However, I have recently seen God do an amazing thing in my life in this area. He is faithful to His promises. I know He is preparing that special man just for you. One thing I've been constantly reminded by God as I page through my journal is "In My Timing"... meaning God's timing... He is writing a story more incredible than you can imagine. It's easy to get discouraged when we're climbing the hill, but that doesn't matter to God... He'd rather have us wait a bit longer and enjoy His gift to the fullest extent than to allow us to just "be married"... your future relationship will go far beyond that.

TTYL.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger FFG said...

Yes yog, that is a tiresome saying, but it seems to be true by the countless accounts of friends who shock me with their unexpected announcements of engagement and discoveries of "the one". Shall I be hearing one from you anytime soon? :) Thanks for the empathetic comment. I always think if these Hollywood producers can come up with such fantastic romances, how much more so the Creator of romance?

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Keller said...

hmmm... just maybe... but then again... maybe not. Hollywood? A cheap imitation of God's stories.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger FFG said...

Hmmm, thanks for that clear, vague response, look forward to hearing your God story...maybe on the big screen some day?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home