Monday, May 15, 2006

The Womb of Dawn

"From the womb of the dawn you will receive the dew of your youth" (Ps.110:3). I crawled out of dawn's womb this morning but the dew of youth must have missed me, leaving me as dry as Gideon's fleece.

My cell phone crowed at 5am this morning. Seriously, the alarm clock cock-a-doodle-doos and I have no idea how to change it...my electronic ineptness is far reaching. The question is why was my cell set to awaken me when the only living thing that should be stirring at that hour are the roosters?

Every day at 5am, the girls slide out of their sheets and start their day with chores. This morning they tried to snuggle their way back into dreamland, but the evil gringa lady (me) peeled off their blankets and allowed the cold to drive them out their beds. If the chilly air wouldn't do the trick, the threat of icy water did.

I had no idea that I was going to be spending the night. I didn't even think I was going to be at the home yesterday. Upon arriving at church, Cleidy, one of the older girls, set the keys in my hand and told me I was in charge for the day. The workers take turns on Sundays and I have third Sundays...which is next week. Still, I agreed to stay. After a full day of mothering 26 girls, I was awaiting the return of Tia Eli. At 10pm, I was informed by a few chicas that the Tia wasn't coming back until the next day. A small detail that no one let me in on.

Anger flamed within me. I was the last to know something when I should have been the first to know. Blame it on Bolivian culture if you will, this oversight irritated me. It felt like someone was sweeping a cactus across the inside of my ribcage. With each passing, my annoyance level increased. The inner pricking continued for some time before I allowed myself to chill and relax.

Occasions such as these occur on a frequent basis in Bolivia. It is better to say that you are coming somewhere, even though you know for sure that you are not, then to reply in the negative. Calling if you can't meet a commitment is not necessary and there is no such thing as a "set time" in this country. The only thing set in stone is that the time and day of your appointments will probably change...at least four times...guaranteed.

For this reason, the best beatititude to have in Bolivia is, "Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not snap." Still, the next time I have to sleep over with the girls, I hope to have some advanced warning. Leaving the womb of dawn at 5am is a tad pre-mature in the day. A two day heads-up will help me prepare for the labourous responsibility of waking and preparing 26 females for breakfast and school. Until then, I'll be retreating back into the blankets, saving my greeting of the day for a later, more reasonable hour. Cock-a-doodle-do!

1 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger Ross said...

Marcee, thank you for checking in on my blog. I liked yours and I can relate to the crazy mannerisms of Bolivia, ugh! good luck with His work. take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home